s
Our Candles

Our Ingredients

At Makana, we have worked tirelessly to create beautiful, fragrant candles that are made with 100% soy wax, phthalate-free natural fragrance and essential oils and lead-free cotton wicking. Our products do not contain paraffin, phthalates, dyes, pesticides, herbicides, inhibitors, enhancers, preservatives, or harmful metals. 


Natural Soy Wax Properties

Due to the organic nature of our pure soy wax, each hand-crafted Makana candle may differ slightly in texture and appearance.  Because our wax is completely botanical and contains no chemical enhancers, preservatives, hardeners, paraffin or other waxes, it sometimes has a tendency to not appear smooth after cooling.  This is a natural property of 100% soy wax and does not alter candle performance in any way.  We prefer to have our soy wax pure and free of unnecessary ingredients to provide a clean-burning, non-toxic and long-lasting candle. Being a plant-based product, our pure soy wax is biodegradable and non-toxic.  In fact, our wax is so pure that it is kosher-certified and FDA-approved.

While Makana candles do not contain dyes, the natural components of fragrance and essential oils vary and may slightly alter the hue of the wax.

Our pure soy wax has a lower melting point of 110 degrees Fahrenheit. Please take care not to leave your Makana candle in warm environments or expose it to direct heat as the wax will get soft and may liquify.

 

Why We Use 100% Soy Wax

We take pride in creating candles that are composed of 100% soy wax made from soybeans grown in the USA.  It is not diluted nor is it mixed with other waxes or chemical components. While there are companies that refer to their candles as soy-blend, soy-based, or simply "soy," these candles can contain as little as 25% soy wax and often mixed with other waxes or ingredients that go unmentioned.  Most often, these candles contain paraffin, a petroleum by-product known to have carcinogenic properties, and emit toxins into the air while burning.

 

Candle Care

Remove all packaging prior to use. Before each and every lighting, trim wick to ¼ inch. Never leave a burning candle unattended. Keep away from children and pets. Burn on a heat-resistant surface, away from drafts, vents or combustibles. Keep wax free of debris and be sure to keep the wick centered.  Discontinue burning when only ½ inch of wax remains.  Store your candle in a cool, dry place away from warm temperatures and direct sunlight.

To get the most of your candle and to prevent tunneling, please burn long enough for the wax to melt completely across the top, up to 4 hours for our 10 oz. candles, and up to 2 hours for our 4 oz. candles.  A small amount of wax may be left along the side of the container. During subsequent burning, the wax will be pulled down by the heat, leaving no waste.